Monday, September 10, 2012

Pinterest Epic Fail....well sort of

So I decided to attempt a recipe I found on Pinterest. Here is the original blog I got it from...   (sorry, don't know to get that nice little different colored link where all you have to do is click on it, so you will have to cut and paste) http://scrambledhenfruit.blogspot.com/2010/11/caramel-stuffed-apple-cider-cookies.html

The picture on there looked so nice. I bought into it! But just like Martha Stewart pictures, the real thing, made by real people, never turns out that way! I should have known better. Working with caramels have never turned out good for me, but I had a surge of optism in me and a cool day begging me to make something "fallish". So Grace and I decided to give it a whirl. 

We followed the directions. We made the dough, formed the dough around the caramels, baked, so far so good. But then.... things were going TOO WELL obviously. The directions said, "When cookies are cool enough to be firm but still slightly warm, carefully twist off of parchment and allow to finish cooling upside down (either on the parchment or on a rack.)" Soooo THAT is what I did! Well, half the time, the carmel just remained on the paper while I lifted the cookie off, the other half I used a spatula (which I had to soak the caramel off afterwards) and had to wipe the carmel back onto the cookie IF the cookie didn't fall apart while doing this, then I had a blob of caramel across the bottom.....





 I think the cookie at the top of the bottom picutre, is what was SUPPOSED to happen.....but as you can see....most did not.... Finally on the last batch out of the oven, I just let them cool on the paper completely and you know what, they turned out great! No problem getting them off either! Lesson learned..... however she was correct in needing to eat them warm, otherwise the caramel gets too hard. So you should warm them either in the microwave or by sitting on top of a mug of hot tea/coffee before hand.
                          

Even Hunter was willing to walk away....ok not really, he was looking at me like he wanted one and by the time I took the picture, he was walking away defeated....just like me!


End review....More trouble than they were worth. They wouldn't be bad or hard without the carmels though, so I may attempt them again without that. But in the meantime, we went back to our old trusty stand by......the ever true chocolate chip cookie recipe....NOT from Pinterest!

No comments:

Post a Comment