Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homestead Blessings

In my never ending effort to learn more homemaking skills, I read on someone else's blog (can't remember who now) about the video series Homestead Blessings. Again, back to the library for me and low and behold, they had several and what they didn't have, they did at another library so I could put them on hold and get all of them! I was not disappointed. There was one on cooking, gardening, sewing, canning, herbs, etc.... I put them in the player, took out a little notepad, watched, took my notes and applied them all! I had the basic knowledge of all of the above, but there was something new in all of them that I did NOT know.

For instance in the sewing one, I read about the idea to look for fabric in different places, such as a bed skirt for a bed at a rummage sale, could be used to make a new skirt, with the ruffle already done for you! or using some cute sheet sets to make curtains or a tablecloth out of!

The canning one, was really nice to be able to actually SEE someone do the canning! I had read and read, but really wanted to see someone DO it. It helped boost my confidence in that alot! Plus it gave me some quick, easy recipes for canning.

The gardening one, showed me how I can use just straw to grow potatoes in instead of having to plant them!

The cooking one, showed me about browning a roast on all sides in the pan before roasting it, because it helps lock in the juices! PLUS it showed me how to make the gravy I had yet to figure out, atleast an edible version of some!

So I definetly would HIGHLY recommend checking out the series at a library near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment