Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Make Ahead Mixes


So, in order to try to save money and be more aware/careful of what is in the food we eat, I found some books at the library on making my own "mixes". So far I have been really pleased! I started out kinda small, I made three mixes and there is a long list of recipes I can make with those mixes. Plus, I know EXACTLY what has gone into the food, I can buy the ingredients in bulk and have them on hand and so far, the quality of taste is sooo much better! Below I have the first book I checked out at the library and the first mix I made up and used. I have to say, my family all agreed, it was way better than any boxed mix I have made in the past. But I will say, when making your mixes, DO NOT get distracted! I made the mix up, and went to make the brownies and they were not very moist in the mixing bowl, so i added some oil and another egg in order to even get it to slightly resemble a regular mix. I tasted the batter and it was bitter! I thought, "oh well maybe it will be better once it's baked".....NO it wasn't! I kept rereading the recipe, I had followed it completely, then I went back to the mix recipe.......ya, I really did NOT remember adding the sugar in that mix! So I recalculated due to already making one batch out of it, and added the sugar, and remade them......Let me tell you how much better brownies with sugar taste than ones without!!! Anyway, I am super excited to try out some of the other recipes and to make up some cute Mason jar mixes to give out at Christmas!






No comments:

Post a Comment