Friday, August 10, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie...winging it!

So I LOVE the chicken potpies you get at the store, however, none of my family do. So I decided they just need a better version of it to fully appreciate the potpie experience. I was going through recipes on pintrest and had an idea, so when I went to the store, I bought a frozen pie crust (it was bottoms only) so then I also went to the refrigerator section and bought a premade rolled up pie crust. Now at this point you may be saying, "why not just make them, it's super easy". Well I would answer by saying,  right after I was married, I tried a "never fails" pie crust from scratch.....it failed, and not only did it fail, it failed EPICLY! I swore off making pie crusts forever! One day maybe, but not now while things are so crazy busy!
          Sooooo anyway! That morning I put 2-3 large frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of chicken soup....it cooked all day. About an hour before Supper, I stuck the bottom pie crust in my wonderful new toaster oven,(those really are one of the best inventions, I use mine ALL the time and it does not heat up the entire kitchen! In fact I think my crockpot heats it up more than my toaster oven). Next, while it was cooking, I shredded the chicken in the crockpot. This does not take much effort as it is so tender from cooking. Then , I dumped a bag of frrozen mixed veggies into the crockpot along with some salt and pepper to taste. Once the pie crust is slightly browned, I took it out and poured in the chicken concoction. Filled it to the top! Layed one of the refrigerated pie crusts on top and cut a few slits in it and pinched around the edges. There is no science I have found to this, just do it as you can. Next I ALWAYS wrap foil around the edges of any pie I am baking, or the crusts WILL BURN!! Next I popped it in the toaster oven at 350 for about 45 minutes. When it was done.....oh soooo good! EVERYONE ate it! Although my son picked all the pie crust out, that is fine! I also had enough filling for another pie, which I was going to make and freeze, but my family went for seconds on the filling before I could do that! Simple, fairly cheap, and filling! **will post a picture next time I make it. Wasn't sure how it was going to turn out so I didn't take a pic! But I think we all know what a pie looks like!

No comments:

Post a Comment