Monday, March 17, 2014

WOW!! How did you do that? PART 1


This is the first part in a series of my journey. I am willing to share my process of how I regained…wait, that would imply I previously had , ok, so this is my process of  how I finally gained control of things in my life.
So I have been on a journey. A decluttering, organizing, gaining control journey. The things I have been learning and doing the last 5-6 months are not things that have come easily to me. In fact, I have never in my almost 39 years been able to gain control over them. I was never taught HOW to clean a room. How to manage a space, how to organize what I have, or to not overfill a space. I still struggle with time management, I still have dust on my shelves and I still have places to gain control over. However this will share how I have gotten as far as I have ….so far…Some may  help you, some may motivate you, some may make you say, whatever, I’m not doing that or I don’t care… but it is what it is. What it is, is a process. To begin the process you have to understand the root of the problem.
 My parents, like most of us, just told us “clean your room”……ooookkkk,  but I never knew HOW to properly clean it. You would think (like most of us)  DUH no brainer, except, there are many ways to clean a room. It is NOT just put things back where they belong, especially if not everything HAS a place where it belongs. The tactic I took often, even into adulthood is to hide everything, under the bed, shoved into closets, crammed into drawers. Out of sight gave the APPEARANCE of clean and was “good enough”. It passed parental inspection anyway. Therefore now that I am a parent, the exact same pattern I have, my kids have learned! The problem is, when you don’t learn how to clean properly, how to limit the amount of stuff you have, how to organize it, you just keep bringing stuff in (more on that later). So, what do you do when every closet is full, every drawer is overflowing and you don’t dare look under the bed?  Well it starts accumulating where you CAN see it, and it accumulates faster than a cage full of rabbits!
You know how I collected so much stuff? Several ways, one being family members moving…and being normal people, who don’t want to move a bunch of stuff they don’t want, they say  “do you want this?” well being the abnormal person, who you would think lived during the depression by all the things she hoards, thinks, well I might want it at some point in my life and I don’t want to have to buy it so really I would be saving money to take it, so I went ahead and took it, or a family member passing, and you hate to part with their things because, gosh, I must hold onto it, it’s all I have left of them, if it is something I would never want to display or look at too often, that doesn’t matter because  it was THEIRS!. Then you add the high you get from purchasing new items, whether you need them or not, whether you have a place for them or not, whether you really can afford them or not, you like them, therefore they MUST be bought!!  And you never take anything out…. Well, that my friends is how people end up on hoarders! Which, is where I found myself headed. 

OVERWHELMED!

Sound familiar? That is how I felt every day. I was drained of all energy when I looked around. No matter how much time I spent trying to clean and organize, it would look like a hot mess in a day or two. You know why? You can’t put lipstick on a pig and call it a princess! I was never going to get truly organized and clean until I got rid of stuff and I don’t mean a few things here and there. That was not enough! I have lived in 3 houses since being married and multiple apartments. With every move, instead of being like normal people and getting rid of stuff each time, I tended to do the opposite, I would collect more because you never know what you might need in the next place. I would drive by these little homes and wonder HOW people could live in such a tiny home, where did they keep all their stuff? What I never realized was, not everybody has as much STUFF as I did! Can you imagine?!  It was not normal for people to have as much stuff as I kept collecting.
            Anyway, several times friends and family would come over to help me TRY to get organized…. Guess what, it never took, because there was just too much stuff! We are back to the pig and princess theory. Do you know another reason it was never going to work? Because it was a process I HAD to do myself. I HAD to mentally let go, I had to mentally organize. You can not have PHYSICAL clutter without MENTAL clutter. You reduce the physical clutter, you will reduce the mental clutter. More on that later as well. But I was never going to be able to maintain anything until I got to the root of the problem…..letting go. Through out this process, I have been posting on my Facebook my progress. People have asked me how I did it, or what did I do so they can do it too. However often times, if you start to tell someone and they start to immediately give you excuses why they can’t do something, then they are not ready to let go. In my case, I was finally done with the excuses and ready to take action. Can I tell you, every excuse I gave in the past, were really not valid. They were fear and emotional attachment talking. Because I was not ready for the change. I knew it was going to take a lot of work and frankly I was lazy, and I knew I would have to let go of things, that I did not want to let go of yet. Since then, I have probably let go of a small house worth of stuff and do not regret a single thing I have gotten rid of.

SUCCESS!

            I would love to say I have found success. In fact, in a lot of areas I have. But I still have a long way to go. However I have learned so much and am dying to share it with my family and friends. This has been something that has affected every aspect of my life. My husband and kids think I am crazy or obsessed. They may be right. I tend to give things 100% or nothing at all. Some would say, obsessed or no interest at all, tomato tomaaaato! Haha What I do know is, I am finally on my way to being the very person I have dreamt about. I have a very long road ahead but I know now, after everything I have already accomplished, it’s possible. I now know for fact, that as long as you start, you have a chance. No matter how many times you fail, as long as you keep trying, you CAN get there, it IS possible and every other clichĂ©’ I hated before. I know what looked way more than I could handle became “done” one day, one step, one room, one closet, one drawer at a time. I do not pretend to have it all figured out, I do know I am adjusting the process everyday. If something doesn’t seem to be working, I adjust it. There is no law, no rule, nobody to say if it’s not working, you can’t change it. In fact there are no rules at all, only what works and what doesn’t. I can tell you a lot of ways that worked ….for ME and a lot of ways that didn’t. But they may not be the same for you. This is my journey, and the adventures I have taken. I hope I can inspire you to create your own! I am not a professional blogger, I don’t’ even have very many followers, it’s never been about that for me. I don’t want nor need that pressure. My blogs have been about sharing with family and friends what’s going on in my life. It’s also my way of holding onto memories for my kids. To look back and see what their ol’ mom thought and did. So if you don’t like it, don’t read it and if you do, I would love to hear it and be encouraged if I have helped you at all. In the next blog, I will share how I FINALLY got started. If you need to finally get started, I hope it will encourage and inspire you to finally do that!

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
Thomas Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment